Mary Ellen Flickinger
Practice FLASH CARDS every night!!
The Fourth Grade teachers would like to send you a huge welcome! We know that this will be an exciting and rewarding year for all of us. Fourth Grade is challenging and builds on everything learned in the Third Grade in order to prepare for the Fifth Grade. We encourage students to work to their fullest potential as we teach them to become more independent.
As in all schools in the state of Virginia, the Fourth Graders at South Elementary will take a Reading and Math Standard of Learning test in May. In addition, they will be tested in Fifth Grade on the Standards taught in writing and science. In order to prepare for these challenges the following programs and events are put into place!
- Accelerated Reading- All students will be given a set number of points to earn each nine weeks through daily reading. These points are based on their own reading level as determined by their Z.P.D. Each student will work to earn their points while keeping their percent correct average above 85%. “AR” counts as 25% of each students Language Arts grade. It is so important that children develop a love for reading. It is hoped by using the AR program students will be challenged to read increasing their reading skills.
- Novel Based reading lessons.
- Before School Tutoring
- Math Tutoring during school with Ms. Brown, Math Interventionalist.
- Computer Labs
- Interactive Achievement Testing- This testing is done after each 9-week. It helps us to find areas that need to be retaught.
- Interactive Note Taking
- Each student participates in becoming a published author. Either independently or collectively.
- A Science Fair or Science/Math Day is held yearly.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in SCA, choir, fundraisers and classroom projects.
- Gingerbread houses, Pie Tasting, Pancake Breakfast for Christmas, AR Reward Hats, Science Experiments, Design Websites, Creative Videos, Penpals
- A yearly Field Trip
- Hands-On Experiences
These are only a few examples of the things that children will experience at South in the Fourth Grade! We are excited about working with parents and students so that our school and community thrive!
Click Here for a Printable Supply List
4 Book Covers (Cloth)
4 Single Subject Spiral Notebooks
Pencil Pouch or Box
1 Composition Book
1 Plastic Pocket Folder with holes
1 Large Box of Tissues
1 Package of #2 Pencils
Black Ink Pens (No Gel Pens)
Colored Pencils and Crayons
10 Glue Sticks (Elmer’s)
Dry Erase Markers and Eraser
ART Class Supplies
2 - #2 Pencils with Erasers for Art Class
1 – 2 Pocket Folder for Art Class
Please put your child’s name on all supplies and replace items as needed during the year.
Supplies vary by teacher and additional supplies may be requested.